Experience sailing in Turkey from our new base in Göcek
Situated between Fethiye and Dalyan on the Aegean Sea, Göcek is a spectacular destination for those looking to swap the Caribbean for something a little closer to home, while still experiencing excellent sailing conditions, glorious weather and beautiful scenery. The 12 Islands of Fethiye surrounding Göcek make for exceptional sailing, where you can anchor for a few hours and enjoy a spot of snorkelling or diving.
Marinas in Göcek
There are six marinas in Göcek, including Göcek D-Marin Marina, home to our bareboat fleet of catamarans and monohulls. The base acts as a perfect starting point for discovering the Lycian Coastline, where you can venture north to visit Marmaris or sail south to famous Olu Deniz and its Blue Lagoon – one of the best snorkelling spots in Turkey.
The history of Göcek
Rich in history, Göcek is home to Roman, Byzantine and Ottoman architecture and, according to legend, it is in this area that Icarus landed and drowned following his escape from imprisonment in Crete, having failed to heed his father’s advice not to fly too close to the sun as it would melt his wings.
For those who aren’t shy of a steep trek, visiting the ruins at the Royal Tomb of Pinara will undoubtably be one of the highlights of your trip. This remarkable site will be one you’ll never forget, with pigeon holed tombs cut directly into the rock face. This form of tomb is not limited to Pinara though, and there are various other sites dotted along the nearby coastline that offer a similar history.
The top things to see and do in Göcek
While there are an abundance of sites and experiences to behold on your private yacht charter to Göcek, we’ve pulled together a list of the top ones to add to your list.
- Kapi Creek – one of the most beautiful sailing regions in Turkey, Kapi Creek lies approximately 10 miles away from Göcek. Provision at the Kapi Restaurant for beautiful views out across Kapi Bay while enjoying fresh, local seafood.
- The Ancient City of Kaunos – discovered in 1842 by an English archaeologist, Kaunos is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is famous for its Kaunian Necroplis, where 170 rock cut tombs pay homage to those who died within the era. Of these 170, perhaps the most magnificent are the five Temple Tombs, which stand witness out over the Dalyan River, which makes for a perfect spot to view them from a boat trip.
- Gemiler Island – get into the Christmas spirit early with a visit to Gemiler Island which is alleged to be home to the final resting place of St. Nicholas, or, Father Christmas! Visit the ruins of five churches, each with magnificent views and wonder at the nativity of the 50 or so Christian tombs, all which date back between the fourth and sixth centuries (AD).
- D-Resort Beach – with sand acquired from the Sahara Desert, D-Resort Beach is a private beach in Göcek and costs around 60-100 Turkish Lira per person (dependant on the day you visit). While this may seem expensive, it is worth it to experience a truly tranquil environment with quiet surroundings and gorgeous azure waves.
- Moon Garden restaurant – for a true taste of Turkey, visit the Moon Garden restaurant. Serving traditional Turkish meze for lunch and dinner, this is a cosy little find situated just five minutes from Göcek Marina – perfect for a night out after a full day exploring this beautiful region of Turkey.
The best time to sail Turkey
With its gorgeous Mediterranean temperatures, the best time to sail Turkey are between the months of April and October, with average temperatures ranging from between 24ºC and 30ºC. Sailing during these times we’ll ensure wonderful calm seas, beautiful sunshine and gentle winds – perfect for any sailing ability.
How to get to Turkey
Find out more
As well as our new base in Turkey, we’ve opened new bases in the Exumas, Naples, Italy, Pula in Croatia, Montenegro, St. Lucia and Belize in 2018, giving you more destination choice than any other company. Learn more about our new base in St. Lucia and our fleet, get a quick quote , or tell us your needs at firstname.lastname@example.org or talk to us on +44 2380 455527